The USGS Cascades Volcano Observatory in Vancouver, Washington, is seeking to fill a science outreach position. This permanent position will be filled as a Physical Scientist at the GS-11 or GS-12 level depending on candidate qualifications. Specific duties of this position include:
- Serving as a principal scientific communication liaison between CVO scientists with volcano hazards expertise and a wide range of stakeholders representing communities at risk from volcanoes of the Cascade Range.
- Leading and participating in efforts to develop materials and execute training and education programs that are integrated with broader volcano hazard assessment projects in order to promote public and institutional acceptance and implementation of VSC hazard assessment products.
- Maintain and enhance engagement with established volcano working groups across the Pacific Northwest region to ensure community awareness, readiness, and eruption response protocols in case of an eruption.
- Help manage media interactions with observatory scientists.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the observatory.
- Participate in geological, hydrological, and geophysical investigations of volcanoes and volcanic processes at Cascade Range volcanoes and in monitoring and hazard response at restless or erupting volcanoes.
Applicants must meet basic education requirements along with some combination of educational and work experience to qualify for the GS-11 or GS-12 level.
The recruitment announcement will open on Wednesday, October 12 and remain open through Monday, October 24 (11:59 pm Eastern Time) or until 70 applications have been received.
The announcement number is: USGS-SAC-22-11596792-DE-MB.
Applicants can find details of this position, and instructions for application at: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/682499200
Applicants should pay careful attention to the following:
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen.
- Resumes should include month and year to document relevant work experience (resumes must contain enough details regarding work experience to determine if applicant has relevant specialized experience)
- Applicants with prior federal service should list grade level details (not mandatory, but possibly helpful)
ALL required documentation MUST be submitted by the close of announcement, and all documents must be legible.
Additional information regarding the federal hiring process can be found at: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/